What's Your Minimum?Mar 27, 2021
The viral pandemic really hit home in March 2020.
Part of me feels like it’s been a month, and most of me feels like it’s been a decade.
I’m sure I aged a decade since this whole COVID thing really started ramping up here in Pennsylvania.
There have been countless challenges over the past year...
- I can talk about how hard it was (and still is) running an in-person fitness-and-nutrition coaching business.
- I can talk about how we processed more membership holds and cancellations over the last year than we did in the entire length of our business.
- I can talk about how my team is tired, tired of giving everything they can and still feeling like it’s not doing enough.
- I can talk about how Sharon's mom has been battling pancreatic cancer for the second time, and the toll it's taken on our family.
- I can talk about my dad's quadruple heart bypass surgery and the toll it's taken on our family.
- I can talk about Sharon's lupus flare ups while juggling full-time homeschooling of our elementary-school remote learners.
- I can talk about the nightmare stories we’ve heard from clients over the last year, whether it’s from those who work in healthcare and saw it all, clients who run small businesses, or those who had family members get COVID.
- And on top of everything, I can talk about how I got COVID despite being diligent about mask-wearing and everything else the CDC has preached.
It’s important to acknowledge, for many of us reading this lesson right now, the last year was really tough.
But there’s been so much good.
- We started filming a brand-new episode of the healthy-home renovation show, HomeBody Challenge. I'm thankful for the great collaboration between our expert sponsors, the world-class production crew, and our featured family.
- We launched a brand-new accountability website at Arangio.com, as well as published a comprehensive library of helpful lessons on the blog.
- We were able to service our clients fully online for multiple months, including on-demand workouts, accountability coaching, and virtual progress check-ins.
- We moved our entire brick-and-mortar fitness-coaching facility to a new cutting-edge 30,000-square-foot sports-performance location. Access to amenities like 100-plus parking spaces and the 60-yard indoor turf field will allow us to professionally lead fitness-coaching-sessions for years to come.
- Although we’re still down from pre-COVID, and have a lot of rebuilding to do, we were able to lead the industry in some of the best practices and best retention rates.
- We had clients that achieved some of their best results during the COVID lockdown. Some dropped 10, 20, and even 30+ pounds (remotely) during the quarantine.
- Maybe it was the increased frequency of workouts, maybe it was the extra accountability the coaches were able to provide, or maybe they just had more time to focus on themselves.
- Either way, whether it was fat loss, performance improvements, or attendance increases we still helped a lot of people live better lives over this last year and that’s something we’re proud of.
There were also a lot of lessons learned too.
- We continue to learn the importance of communication.
- We continue to balance change with certainty.
- We continue to take imperfect action.
Our current reality feels a lot like a science-fiction novel.
I balance the constant stress to rebuild and “get back to where we were” with the gratitude of just how well most of us still have it after times like this.
Either way, there’s still work to be done.
But we’re not out of the woods yet.
However, as more sun shines during the day, there is light at end of the tunnel, and that gives us all some hope.
Thank you for being on this roller-coaster of a journey with us, especially over this last year.
What's Your Minimum?
As we continue on with current state of events, it’s going to be tough to hit your goals like prioritizing exercise.
It’s also going to be tough to make mindful nutrition choices.
And that's totally okay.
Potentially you have the ability to spend more time with your family and work on that house project you’ve been ignoring.
Truth is, occasionally missing one training session won't make too much difference in the long term.
Making one or two poor nutrition choices won't make a difference either (it's actually encouraged).
Truth is, when you set a goal for anything (fitness, finances, family, etc), set three levels for each goal.
There's the stretch goal.
This is the goal that is shooting for the stars.
Everything would have to align, you'd have to work your tail off, and your dreams would have to come true for this to happen.
Then there's the actual goal.
Finally, there's the minimum or floor goal.
You will do everything possible to hit this no matter what it takes.
Let's roll with an example both fitness and non-fitness.
Maybe your goal is to get eight glasses of water a day.
That's your actual goal. Your stretch goal may be twelve glasses.
Then your minimum, your floor, may be six glasses.
So, the goal is eight, but you're not going to bed until you get six glasses of water in at minimum.
I don't care if you have to sit on the edge of your bed to drink three glasses because you only drank three throughout the day.
You do what it takes to hit the minimum, the floor goal.
A non-fitness example could be more quality time with your family.
Let's say you want to have a nightly sit-down dinner with your family.
A stretch goal may be seven sit-down family dinners per week, and the floor goal, the minimum, may be three sit-down dinners with your family.
As the deadline gets closer, if you're not on track to hit at least three sit-down dinners with your family, you may need to leave work early, ask your boss if you can work remotely some days, or look for another job...
...but you'll do whatever it takes to hit the floor goal, the minimum.
In goal setting, and especially right now, the floor goal is actually what drives you.
What's your minimum?
So maybe it's the six glasses of water.
Maybe it's three servings of vegetables.
Maybe it's two workouts in the week.
Focus on at least getting the minimums, do whatever it takes.
Now more than ever is why having a coach on your side is so important.
Someone to not only help you map out a realistic routine and hold you accountable to it, but be there to support you through the emotional roller coaster that we’re all on.
It’s moments like right now where coaches shine at their best.
Another thing. I didn't say it's okay to miss 100% of your workouts... or eat poorly 100% of the time.
When times get tough, some folks will put their health on the back burner... saying they'll get healthy tomorrow.
Well, watch out for the "trap of "tomorrow."
Tomorrow becomes next week, next week becomes next month, next month becomes next year.
You hear people say this all the time...
😥"I want to lose this weight but I'll start tomorrow... or next week... or next month."
😥"My gym is closed due to a viral outbreak, so I'll just hibernate for now."
Even though they know that I can help them lose bodyfat, get fit, and live a healthier life today, they still find an excuse to put it off and procrastinate…
...until it's too late.
Until they've put on so much weight that they're now diagnosed with high blood pressure, diabetes, or worse.
I hear folks give this excuse all the time, too:
"I want a better and happier life, but I'll start next year."
Here’s the obvious question:
Why would you struggle for another year and fall deeper into depression and get drowned by excess bodyfat...
...when you can do something about it right now and make your life more successful next month?
But it's not too late, you just need to suspend your disbelief that change is possible.
Once you believe, next step is to take imperfect action.
Stop all of your "research" which, simply stated, is just another form of procrastination.
Stop listening to the naysayers who scoff at the mention of hiring a coach to help you.
These negative influences will only pull you down with them.
Ask yourself where you'll be a year from now if you continue doing what you're doing.
You're not alone because every single one of my client-athletes started with the same thought...
"I need to make positive changes in my life. I value my time so I will fast-track the learning curve by hiring a coach."
Don't believe me?
That's okay because the proof is in the pudding...
...check out these success stories.
How successful have you been lately?
Once again, if you continue to do exactly what you’re doing...
...will you be better, the same, or worse 12 months from today?
Why not shortcut success by working with a coach that delivers results.
Also, in case you don't know me (or a friend asks "who is this Coach Joe guy?"), here is a quick bio:
*I'm a subject-matter expert in the field of of strength and conditioning, with over 55,000 hours of study and hands-on coaching experience
*I collaborate with the world's top strength and conditioning coaches.
*I was born to teach training and nutrition and recovery strategies.
*I offer a 90-day money-back guarantee.
It’s time to make this year your best year yet, despite the obvious challenges.
You'll learn from fellow client-athletes who walk-the-walk and talk-the-talk.
You'll also learn from having a coach who can provide straightforward feedback to your questions.
Here's just a short list of what you'll learn when you join our family (everything is delivered online by the way):
👉 How to batch-prepare your meals for the week and spend less money on food then you're spending today
👉 How to drop your bodyfat from 30% to 20%, or lower, in just 6 months.
👉 How to get stronger than you have ever been in your entire life. Seriously.
👉 How to practically guarantee you make consistent progress every week.
👉 How to create systems that help you avoid bad choices, and maximize your healthy habits. 👉 How to lose stubborn belly fat.
👉 How to get a restful night’s sleep (every single night) so that you can recover FASTER from stress.
👉 How to minimize the negative influences in your life so that you keep a positive mindset. In short, you'll get a step-wise blueprint to help you rebuild your body along with other like-minded folks.
You'll join a supportive community of folks who actually care about you.
Look, I’ve delivered over 100,000 workouts to satisfied clients around the globe... but we're missing you.
I don't want you to put off your success and fall into the trap of next year.
You need accountability.
You need a supportive “team” environment.
You need a progressive training plan and not some foolish “random” workout-of-the-day.
You need better and more reliable nutrition.
I can help you with all of the above and guarantee jaw-dropping progress within 90 days or you get a tuition refund.
That's my promise to you.
To your success,
P.S. Just to be clear, I'll guarantee your results from anywhere in the 🌎 world. If you follow my plan, yet don't hit your goals, I'll refund 100% of your tuition. That's my iron-clad promise to you. All you need is an Internet connection and a good attitude.
If you'd like to work with me to become the leanest and strongest version of yourself, you can apply here.